Having a garden at one’s home is a very beautiful and mind relaxing spot. And when a garden is planted as per the Feng Shui principles, it encourages the Chi flow throughout the space and brings all the five elements to harmony. To have a garden with the Feng Shui in place, a planning has to be done while building your garden. A few tips are discussed below:
- Any style of the garden could incorporate the Feng Shui Principle, however the key and balance of the energy flow is the most important factor. This could be done with the help of colors used, the kinds of trees and shrubs planted, the water features, wind chimes, lightings and many other garden accessories which are placed at the right locations as per the Feng Shui.
- To have a perfect garden with the Feng Shui powers, it is always best to plant a mix of flowers, trees, shrubs which delights the senses of all the seasons. The plants should be looked after well, they should be healthy and well trimmed in accordance with the other plants and each one should go hand in hand to have a good Chi for the family members.
- To have good health, wealth and luck, it is best to grow healthy plants at the South east of the garden. The presence of the soft flora could be balanced with a young stone or rock. Having terracotta or ornamental plants at the Southwest and Northeast gives an earthy touch.
- Grooves and wines are very good in bringing yang and they are used as seating or as garden boarders.
- Having a garden fence or wall add to the feel of height to the garden and it could be a good place to grow the climbers which softens the sharp edges and thus reducing the effect of cutting Chi.
- In larger areas a structured effect could be created by growing a mixture of shrubs and flowering plans. Similarly if a wooden bench is placed in the garden at the East, it will add beauty and increase the wood element.
- In a Feng Shui garden, water elements are very important as they attract positive and beneficial Chi. The location of the water si very important, they could be the centre of attraction, but should not overpower the rest of the garden.
- Water should have a consistent flow and try having aquatic plants and not leaving it empty. Gold fish is considered very auspicious in Feng Shui. The ponds should be cleaned well and any dead plant or fish should be removed immediately as it stagnates the positive Chi.
- Having a good walk path is the heart of a Feng Shui garden. They are vital medium of the Chi. To have a garden path, many materials could be used.
A few tips for the garden to implement the Feng Shui and bring about changes in the house.
- By placing garden lights in the Southeast area of the garden, a significant change in relationships and marriages is observed.
- By planting taller and fast growing shrubs at the backside of the garden, is good for privacy, protection and support.
- The plants should be monitored for dead leaves and the debris and clutter should be removed, so that the Chi is not obstructed.
- Keep the water clean in your garden, be it with ponds, fountains, pools or even bird bath.
- Do not overwhelm the area near home with too much water. It should be in balance with the other elements.
- By having climbing trees in the patios and small courtyards could bring in that extra benefit of chi because of the free movement of these plants.
- By placing rocks or stones could balance the yang energy to the yin energy from the soft plants.
Some plants that represent the elements of Feng Shui.
Plants representing Fire – Plants that have red foliage or bark and with triangular or conical shapes represent fire. Some plants that comes under this category are the red cut leaf Maple, Crytomeria which has a purplish red foliage, Christmas Camellia, small shrubs with orange, red or scarlet foliage and rosemary for their conical shape.
Plants Representing Water – Plants with free foams or dark colored or black plants represent the water element. Some plants that represent the water element are the butterfly bush, black mondo grass, purple palace, black elephant ear and the blackie sweet potato vine.
Plants Representing Metal – Circular, arched and oval-shaped plants that yields white or pastel blossoms represents metal elements. The plants which include species of hydrangea, white gumpo azaleas and camellias and dogwood trees.
Plants representing Earth – Plants that produce yellow blossoms or are trimmed to have a rectangular or square shape represent the earth element. Earth plants include black-eyed susan, river birch and flowers with yellow blooms.
Plants representing wood – Long and thin plants that are either green or blue in color represent wood element. The plants that represent the wood elements are the arrow bamboo, that grows good in a pot and rosemary.
It is important not only to recognize the plants with their related elements, but also where they should be planted. The corners of a Feng Shui garden are related with luck and fortune. For having fame and fortune, having flowers that are pink or red in color, placed at the southern corner is the ideal place. To encourage marital status, plant yellow flowers at the southwestern location. Having blue or purple flowers at the northern corner would encourage prospects for your career. To have increased heath, wisdom and education, planting flowers that are orange, yellow or white in color is the choice at the northeastern corner.
Apart from the flowers, even the placement of other trees matters. Open layouts with shrubs and taller trees make you feel free and independent, when spending time in your garden. Large leafed trees bring in a sense of relaxation. Some taller vegetation trees could be even used as barriers against unwanted views.
Even if you do not have large area and you are in small apartments, you could use the little space available to create a good garden with all the positive energies in it. It adds not only beauty to the house, but also beings in lots of positive effects which is visible in the family and the well being of the family.
While building a garden, taking into consideration of the above mentioned plants, if proper placements of the plants and flowers at the right locations are done, the energy is felt immediately.